Monday, February 16, 2009

Sad Goodbyes

We had a truly great visit with Uncle David and Aunt Margret, our family from Texas. Usually, I'm a person who likes to go, go, go, but this weekend was a whole lot of staying at home. I was perfectly content sitting at our kitchen table just talking to them and my grandma. We usually get to see them at least once a year and sometimes two times a year. Everytime they have come I have always just enjoyed their company and stories. It's the strangest thing because if I'm sitting at home any other time, I'm probably sleeping. I did not take one nap this weekend.

They all stayed at my house. Grandma took the spare bedroom and David and Margret took our bed. We decided it would be a great idea if we just had a big weekend slumber party in Camryn's room so we got an air mattress from Brent's mom. We inflated it, but it was flat before we even went to bed so the couch was mine and Brent slept in the recliner on Friday. Well on Saturday my parents brought over an air mattress with a pump attached. We went to Dollar General and bought batteries to blow it up (note---I was being cheap and bought the Dollar General Brand). Well, as you probably guessed, they didn't even get it blown up half way. So it was either the floor or the couch again for us. I slept on the love seat and Brent slept on the couch. Finally, last night we had luck with a bed and Brent and I cuddled all night.

Back to the family...Yesterday we were talking about my grandama's and uncle's lives when they were children. They were true children of poverty. What amazes me the most is that they made the best out of their situation and took care of one another until all the children were raised. Their mom died 18 months after David was born from delivery complications with her last child. Their dad was an alcoholic and drank all the money away. Their dad left David when he was 14 and had to get a job and find somewhere to live. Despite all of these horrible situations, David still graduated high school, went to college, and received two master degrees. It's amazing what self-motivation can make you accomplish. I really admire my uncle, and with them being down it made me think a lot about them all getting older so you never know when it will be the last time I see them. I was especially sad to see them go this morning. Please pray that they have safe travels back home. Hopefully we're going to get to go to Texas this summer to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment